Kim receiving a token of appreciation from IMarESTDr. Kim P Jakobsen – Head of Coastal and Marine Department, Kota Kinabalu, DHI Malaysia – was one of the speakers at the event. He spoke on ‘Numerical Modelling’, specifically covering the topics of ‘Wind and waves’ and ‘Water level and currents’.
The 3-day course brought together expert speakers and delegates from various backgrounds who use or provide meteorology and oceanography (Metocean) data. As Metocean conditions significantly impact the design and operations of offshore facilities, it is vital that people who use Metocean information are aware of how the weather, waves, currents and water levels influence their work. Insufficient understanding of such conditions can bring about serious health, safety, environmental and economic consequences.
Aimed at those involved in offshore activities that are affected by weather and sea conditions, this course was a great platform for them to learn how Metocean conditions might impact the effectiveness of what they do. We were happy for the excellent opportunity to contribute to this learning arena.
- Learning why Metocean is important to the offshore oil and gas, and marine renewables industries
- Understanding the various methods of acquiring Metocean data, how to maintain its quality and ways to archive it effectively
- Studying Metocean parameters, processes and conditions around the world
- Understanding how weather and ocean forecasts are derived
- Appreciating the implications of climate variability and data trends
Identifying how Metocean conditions are presented statistically for use in various scenarios
“This was another platform for us to share our knowledge and experiences. The participants had a lot of questions after the session and it was very interesting to see different perspectives to the same challenges being faced everyday,” said Dr. Kim. “This kind of interaction helps us stay up-to-date in the industry,” he added.
For further details, please visit IMarEST