Climate change is the most serious environmental challenge we face today – a challenge with a direct impact on social, economic and ecological issues. It has become necessary to take appropriate measures to cope with the impacts of climate change. At the same time, it has become increasingly vital to tackle the problem at the source – by reducing anthropogenic carbon emissions. In this context, ‘green’ technologies (providing carbon-free energy) are attracting increased interest from industries and governments.
Wave and tidal technologies are among the most promising ‘green’ technologies, tapping into the most concentrated source of renewable energy. It's estimated that using 1% of global wave energy resources would cover four times the world’s total current energy needs. Wave and tidal technologies are still in the pioneering phase, but they are expected to grow rapidly in the coming decade. Several challenges must be overcome in order to sustain such growth. These include sustainably dealing with the dynamic and delicately balanced marine environment as well as managing the uncertainties of previously untapped resources and emerging technologies.
- Managing the uncertainties of previously untapped resources and emerging technologies
- Coping with harsh environmental conditions
- Ensuring sustainability of structures
- Minimising environmental impact
We're aware that understanding and reducing the uncertainties are key to successful wave and tidal energy development. We can achieve this by tapping into our in-depth knowledge of water environments and our decades of experience in the planning, design, development and management of marine structures. All our solutions are based on a thorough understanding of the environment, energy flows and Metocean conditions at each specific project site.
We can help you select the optimal site for your wave or tidal energy development by accurately assessing resources as well as forecasting energy flows and Metocean conditions. We also have the tools to support you in developing cost-effective and secure structures that are able to withstand the harshest conditions over their projected lifetime. Lastly, by using our environment and ecological services, you'll ensure that the impact of your development on the ambient environment and ecosystems is limited. Our innovative solutions are based on a combination of field data collection, on-line monitoring, numerical modelling and physical model tests.
THE ULTIMATE GOAL
MARKETABLE WAVE AND TIDAL ENERGY
SOFTWARE, TOOLS AND SERVICES
Success in the wave and tidal energy market will depend on reducing the risks involved in the development process. Reliable resource estimates and forecasts as well as sustainable, yet cost-efficient devices and structures are vital. We can help with:
- Numerical modelling using our MIKE Powered by DHI software suite, which includes:
- wave and currents
- water-structure interactions and scour
- morphology and sediment transport
- ecology and biodiversity, including habitat modelling
- Physical model testing (in-house facilities)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis for detailed flow analysis
- Metocean data – hindcast, nowcast and forecast for engineering, planning, construction and operation
- On-site water and energy forecasts
- Survey and monitoring services including hydrographic, environmental and ecological surveys
- Local Area Weather Radar (LAWR)
- Geographic Information System (GIS) services for easy visualisation of constraints and results
- Site Energy Assessments (SEAs) and feasibility studies
- Critical design conditions for the structure and devices
- Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs)
- Support during the consenting process and for environmental permit applications
- Development of Decision Support Systems (DSS) to support you in making informed decisions
- Capacity building and training by THE ACADEMY by DHI