This three-day, hands-on course provides you with an introduction to groundwater modelling using FEFLOW. You will learn the basic concepts of the software through building two and three-dimensional flow and solute-transport models applying the most important programme functions, including pre-processing, simulation and results evaluation.
FEFLOW is widely recognised as a comprehensive software package for subsurface flow and transport simulation. FEFLOW’s unique mesh capabilities (structured and unstructured) allows you the highest degree of flexibility to account in detail from the most simple to complex geometrical configurations. The software is used by leading research institutes, universities, consulting firms and government organisations all over the world.
FEFLOW’s scope of application ranges from simple local scale to complex large scale modelling. Application areas include water management, mine water, saltwater intrusion, geothermal energy, and variably saturated media.
- Introduction to FEFLOW
- The graphical user interface
- Creating 2D and 3D mesh geometries (structured and unstructured meshes)
- FEFLOW’s interface with geological software
- Setting up flow models with confined and unconfined aquifers
- Setting up mass-transport models
- Setting up groundwater age models
- Steady-state and transient models
- Usage of GIS/CAD data interfaces and other formats
- Results evaluation
- Visualisation and animation
- Hands-on exercises
TARGET GROUP AND PREREQUISITES
Groundwater professionals working in consulting companies, public authorities, university and research institutions. You are expected to have both a basic knowledge of groundwater modelling as well as computer application.