The Women’s Water Fund helps women from developing countries advance their career opportunities in the field of water resources development and management. The Women’s Water Fund has been created at the initiative of DHI and was originally funded by the “King Hassan II Great World Water Prize” presented to Professor Torkil Jønch Clausen, DHI, at the Fourth World Water Forum in Mexico in 2006. This year, Danida (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark) is co-sponsoring the Fund.
Women in (or on their way into) middle management positions are encouraged to apply. The Fund seeks to provide programme participants with insight and inspiration that can help them advance into more senior management roles. The Fund’s career programme builds upon Danish expertise in:
- water and environmental management and its international applications
- organisational management in the water sector
The Fund supports short capacity building visits to Denmark. The visits will include a combination of formal training and “hands-on” interaction with managers in public authorities and in the water industry. The Fund will cover all travel, accommodation and living costs. It is the intention that the Fund will maintain longer duration contact with the participants.
The capacity building visits include:
- short courses in career development and management in the water sector, and in water governance, water resources, and environmental technologies. The courses will also consist of meetings with and visits to Danish organisations in the field of water.
- a one-week internship with an organisation in one of the above fields.
- a subsequent mentoring component. A senior Danish manager will serve as a mentor for each candidate. This mentoring will continue for at least a year after the visit to Denmark. Candidates must fully commit themselves to participating in this component of the programme.
This year’s programme includes a two-week training and management internship in Denmark from 14 to 29 September 2013. See the outline of the programme at http://dhigroup.com.
The present programme/study visit in September 2013 is for women from developing countries in Africa and Asia where Danida is engaged in the water sector. See the list of eligible countries below.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- professional background in a water-related discipline, degree at least to Master’s level
- minimum 5-7 years of work experience
- fluent in English
- currently employed in managerial or leadership positions in government, private company or NGO (academic careers are not supported by the Fund)
Applications must include:
- background of candidate, including full biographical data/curriculum vitae
- motivation for applying
- letter(s) of recommendation
Application / next step
Please submit your application under “Jobs” on DHI’s home page (www.dhigroup.com) no later than 21 June 2013. For further information, please contact the Secretariat of the Fund, Ms. Hanne Berthelsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants and successful candidates will be notified by the end of June 2013.
List of eligible countries
Africa: Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam