VKI - Institute for the Water Environment


The history of the former VKI - Institute for the Water Environment:

  • 1964 The Danish Academy of Technical Sciences established the Committee for Industrial Waste Water, the precursor of VKI
  • 1970 The name was changed to the Committee for Waste Water, to indicate a wider scope of activities
  • 1972 Vandkvalitetsinstituttet/Water Quality Institute, (abbreviation in both Danish and English 'VKI') was established by the Danish Academy of Technical Sciences
  • 1979 VKI established a regional office in Århus, Jutland
  • 1981 VKI established a Department for Aquaculture on which basis an independent Danish Aquaculture Institute was established in 1984
  • 1988 The International Agency for 14C Determination, founded in 1958, was added to VKI
  • 1990 The Ecological Modelling Center was established by VKI and the Danish Hydraulic Institute as a joint department
  • 1996 Center for Environment and Toxicology (CETOX) was established by VKI and DTC.